If you’ve been paying attention to Facebook or Twitter over the last few days or watching Fox News, no doubt you’ve seen innumerable articles and posts on the “tyranny,” “imperialism,” and “despotism” regarding Obama’s twenty-three executive orders on gun-control. Call Thomas called Obama our “imperial emperor in chief,” and Fox News is leading the “tyranny” hysteria. This may be a minor point to those whose only goal is to spread a culture of fear and paranoia, but reading the actual list of what Obama has put into action one discovers there’s really nothing tyrannical about it. The executive orders have to do with background checks, mental health, promoting gun safety, law enforcement training, and studying gun violence. Nowhere in the twenty-three is anything about taking away your guns. Nowhere is there anything about shredding the Constitution. Nowhere is Obama demanding to be king.
For all this talk about Obama trampling the Constitution, I keep wondering where all these “Constitutionalists” were when President Bush oversaw the enactment of the USA PATRIOT Act, a law which runs roughshod over the 4th, 5th, and 6th Amendments. Amendment four regards “unreasonable searches and seizures,” Amendment five guarantees “due process of law,” and Amendment six ensures the “right to a speedy and public trial.” Slap the word “terrorist” on an individual and those “inalienable rights” go out the window. Thanks to the Patriot Act, I need to prove my identity to get a library card, but somehow requiring someone who wants to by a weapon capable of deadly force to under go a background check is a breach of our rights as citizens. Huh? Here’s a blog post by conservative hero Sean Hannity defending the Patriot Act and criticizing Democrats for accusing George W. Bush of disregarding the Constitution. My how the tables have turned.
It’s time to stop the madness. It’s time to stop the insanity. It’s time to stop the paranoia.
Here are Obama’s twenty-three executive actions:
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system. -Gasp!
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks. -Jefferson is rolling over in his grave!
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign. -Oh the humanity!
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
11. Nominate an ATF director. -He'll never take our freedom!!!
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers. -He clearly hates liberty!
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations. -It's time to stand and fight!
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.