Monday, October 14, 2013

Robin Thicke: the dirty bastard who needs glasses



'Blurred Lines' photo (c) 2013, Pat David - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/
= deuchbag
Surely everyone has seen by now the video of the infamous Miley Cyrus “twerking” performance at the VMA awards.  I’m not going to link it here because I don’t want to give it anymore air time then it’s already gotten. That being said, “co-conspirator” Robin Thicke recently did a sit-down interview with Oprah that will air October 13 on her own OWN network. In some of the snippets released, he pleads ignorance as to the events that took place on stage that night.


In the interview, according to Huffington Post, when Oprah questions Thicke as to his level of participation in the action, he responds that “I'm singing my butt off so I'm sitting there, I'm looking up at the sky, and I'm not really paying attention to all that," Thicke says. "That's on her.” First, I thought the events took place indoors, and second, he’s basically claiming to be an innocent bystander in the whole event. But wait, it gets worse.


 If that wasn’t enough, he claims that not only did he not know what was happening, the act itself was non-consensual.  "People ask me, 'Do you twerk?' I go, 'Listen, I'm the twerkee,'" he continues, laughing. "I'm twerked upon. I don't twerk myself, OK? I'm just twerked upon." Poor guy. Clearly he’s the victim here. Excuse me while I throw up.


'Blurred Lines Robin Thicke Sang Marvin Gaye's Sexual Healing In 2012' photo (c) 2013, Zennie Abraham - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/
Add caption
Thicke has escaped nearly unscathed from criticism after the events of that night while Miley Cyrus has faced near-universal condemnation. Not that I would judge Miley’s actions as commendable in any respect, but I’m pretty sick of Thicke playing coy in all this, like he had nothing to do with it and was just the poor, faithfully married man being twerked upon.  Yeah, I imagine it’s just like in his R-rated music video for Blurred Lines in which topless women prance around while he sings about pressuring uncertain young women into sexual activity. As one writer has said, “the sex being sold in this song is not inspiring, egalitarian or sensual like sex should be, but narrow and non-consensual. What this song promotes is an extremely constricted view of women’s sexuality defined entirely by the male singer.” Thicke is hardly the innocent “twerkee” he portrays himself to be and rather seems more a perverted sex addict who *conveniently* blames someone else.

This just goes back to the whole rape culture here in America, where unwanted sexual advances by a guy were seemingly the result of him being “led on” by the female.  Guys in this country have got to stop viewing women as objects and as willing recipients of whatever sexual advances they so desire; in other words, the sort of behavior which Thicke advocates in his own song.

There’s a story breaking just today about a young woman in Missouri who was allegedly raped, with the local police having what they felt was a “case that would ‘absolutely’ result in prosecutions.”  Conveniently, the young man accused got let off the hook without even a trial while the young woman and her family were run out of town. Worse, parents of the accused think “Our boys deserve an apology, and they haven’t gotten it yet.” Do those words ring a bell?

Does Thicke wear contacts? Because it seems like he’s gotten a vision problem. Perhaps someone should get him some glasses, so he could see that those “blurred lines” aren’t really as fuzzy as he thinks them to be. His hypocritical words and actions are absolutely the wrong message of our society and simply contribute to the so-called “slut-shaming” and blame-the-victim mentality which so disgustingly pervades our society of which Thicke represents the most vile, reprehensible, dirt-bag of all.


No comments:

Post a Comment